Our world is broken. All around us, we see heartache, despair, and pain.
The needs of our world can be overwhelming and often it can be a struggle to knowing what we should do.
The one thing we can do is pray. Prayer is powerful. Chris Rappazini writes in the Today in the Word devotional, “Even though it may take years to see an answer, you can be assured that your prayers are being heard.” God hears your prayers; and it is important that you pray. But where do you start? Here are a few prayers to help you begin:
- A Prayer for the Lost: Dear God, I pray for a world that doesn’t know you. I pray for those who are lost. God show yourself to those who don’t believe. Allow me to be a source of your light to those who need you. Help me to lead people to you. Help me tell others about you and have the words they need to hear. I pray for the loss that if not by me, something or someone else will intervene in their life and direct them to you. I pray for divine appointments all across the world today. God, I pray for the world to know you. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: 1 Timothy 2:1–7)
- A Prayer for Physical Illness: Dear God, I pray for the sickness in our world. I pray for those suffering from COVID-19. I pray for those suffering from cancer. I pray for those suffering from heart disease. I pray for those suffering from any form of sickness or ailment. If it is your will, I pray that you heal them, Lord. I ask that you be with them, comfort them, and provide them with peace. Be with their families that are struggling as they watch their loved ones suffer. Provide them with love and a sense of hope. God, I pray you heal our world. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: James 5:13–15)
- A Prayer for Mental Illness: Dear God, I come to you with a heavy heart. I pray for those battling mental illness. I pray you give them strength to keep fighting. I pray they know that they are loved, wanted, and valued. I ask that you bring a community around them that is godly, loving, and understanding. I pray that they are able to get the help they need. Provide them with the right tools to begin healing. God, I pray for their families whose heart aches for their loved ones who are suffering. Give them the strength to keep fighting too. Be with those who are suffering and let them know that you are there. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Ephesians 6:16-20)
- A Prayer for Justice: Dear God, You are a God of justice. You care for those who are oppressed. You love those who are marginalized. I pray for justice and redemption in this world. Help me to know what is wrong and what is right. Help this world to know what is wrong and what is right. Provide peace and hope to those who are suffering from injustice. Show them that you are there, and you care for them and that you will make all things right. God, I pray for a world full of love and compassion. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Proverbs 21:15)
- A Prayer for Poverty: Dear God, So many people are suffering from poverty. God, I pray for those today who are experiencing financial needs. I pray for those who don’t have enough food to feed themselves or their families. I pray for those who don’t have enough money for healthcare or medicine. I pray for those who don’t have a home, or who have recently just lost their home. God, I pray that you will provide for these needs. Provide for their physical needs, as well as their spiritual needs. Let them know that you are there. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Proverbs 29:7)
- A Prayer for Peace: Dear God, Our world is torn with war and violence. I pray that you provide this world with a peace that is only found in you. I pray for those who are suffering from the results of war and violence. I pray you provide them with both physical and mental healing. I pray for an end to these wars and acts of violence. I pray for your redemption. I pray for an end to all of the division between individuals, groups, and nations. I pray for your healing. I pray for an end to all the trauma and hurting. I pray for your love to reign over all. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Hebrews 12:12–14)
- A Prayer for Broken Families: Dear God, There is so much brokenness in this world. Please be with each family that is suffering. I pray you keep families united, loving and seeking you. I pray for reconciliation. I pray for each individual whose family has been torn apart by divorce, abuse, abandonment, drugs, alcohol, death, and any other circumstance. I pray that they are able to find hope in you. I pray for the families that are on the verge of being torn apart; I pray that you heal them. I pray for those who don’t have a family. Let them find a loving, kind, and supportive family. Allow them to find a family within the kingdom of God. Provide them with comfort only you can supply. In Jesus’ name, Amen. (Read: Psalms 15–18)